Friday, September 30, 2011

My first BIG shopping day!

         Yesterday was my first big grocery shopping day in Krakow. Early that morning, Stephen and I woke up and went to the market. This is a small area that has little vendors who set up with fruits, veggies, cheese, flowers, etc. It is very similar to a famrer’s market. While we were there, we were able to buy three peppers (one green, one yellow, and one red), two Gala apples, two big pears, and a bottle of honey for 20 zl. which is about $6.60. While I was shopping, I started to look through the apples just seeing which ones I wanted. The lady started speaking very fast, very harsh Polish. Thankfully I had Stephen there. I knew she was mad at me, but I did not know why. So after looking at the lady and then back and forth to Stephen, he told me that people do not touch all the fruit here before picking. Apparently the lady had said, “What is wrong with those apples?” I think it would have been a whole lot worse if Stephen had not been there. He has been doing phenominal! It is so much easier having a translator around. After going to the market we walked to the bakery and picked up some breakfast. One apple turnover and one big donut filled with crème, was 3zl. which is about $1.00. It was awesome! I am trying to use the little bit of Polish I have. One time we went to the bakery I practiced what I was going to say: two apple turnovers: “dwa francesco jablko”. I got to the front of the line, said my rehearsed line, and was answered with a lot of Polish I did not recognize. So I looked at Stephen and he was able to translate. It ends up they only had one apple turnover and the rest were cherry.  I am hopefully going to still practice with the Polish I know and end up learning, but it is nice to have Stephen there to fill in the blanks.

After our adventure of shopping together, we met up with some friends who took us to the BIG store here. It is called Tesco and is essentially their version of Wal-Mart. They have groceries, clothes, housewares, etc. I was warned it was going to be overwhelming. So I was trying to prepare myself, but I think in the back of my mind I thought it would be like Wal-Mart. Since I went to Wal-Mart at least once a week if not more, I thought I could handle it without too much trouble. And while I did survive, it was extremely overwhleming. I could not read anything and they did not have familiar brands nor was the store organized in a familiar manner. I did not know where anything was. And the choices, oh my! There were like thirty different kinds of toilet paper. I thought we had a lot of choices in the states but for some reason this store blew me away. Thankfully our friends were able to help us by telling us their favorite brands and types. But before I went on this shopping extravanganza I did not make a detailed list of the types of food things I would need. I did not plan out meals because I was not sure what kinds of meals I could make here or what kind of stuff they had. But with a little bit of patience, a lot of help and prayer, we were able to get a toaster, a fan, a hair dryer, some landry soap, some bath soap, some groceries, some toilet paper, some clorox, a mop, and a few other things. I thought it was going to be very expensive, but it was not that bad. I know in time it will get better and not as overwhleming. In time I will learn how to understand the symbols. I will learn what tastes good and what does not. And I will learn how to plan a little bit better. The funniestafter we did all that shopping (like 2-3 hours worth) that night for dinner I did not have a whole meal to cook. So Stephen and I went to find our local store, Alma. We ended up getting turned around, but found it. We picked up some potatoes and pasta and made our way home.

Some friends here have told me that everything will take longer, be a little harder, and often a lot more stressful. They were right. It takes me longer to cook, plan, and prepare.  Some simple steps that were familiar are not easy here because of small differences. Transportation takes longer because we walk to the bus or tram instead of driving.  Also, the differences in prices here compared to the states is strange.  Some items here are incredibly expensive (mainly electronics, appliances and manufactured items), but other items are cheaper.  There are many difference, but so far I still love it. I love going to market to get fresh fruits and veggies. I love our little bakery. And I love trying to find our way. We have not always been perfect, but we have made it there. I cannot wait to see what other adventures we have. I think I will have to go shopping again on Monday because I only have enough food to cook dinner tonight. Thankfully we are going to a friends on Saturday. I guess Sunday we will get creative.    

3 comments:

  1. i am so proud of you. and i miss you so much at the same time. and I am happy for you! and thankful for all of your blessings. heart is just too full my sweetest bulds. i just love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you. You are shinning through interesting situations. It is so cool you are trying to speak the language. You will get on track with the menu planning in no time at all. I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting! I am so glad that you are enjoying it there so far and making the best of all situations! It's amazing how God gave you little things like the bakery to make you feel somewhat at home or happy because you love pastries so much! That's awesome! Love you!

    ReplyDelete